A blog by: Nina
Inspired by: Lily
It is a spicy Tuesday in our kitchen people!
There is a time and a place for healthy meals and today is not one of them! This meal is going to spice up your week with all the burst of flavor it has to offer. STOP IT with the canned sauces and take the few extra steps to make a quick little masterpiece. The secret: tomato paste! Tomato paste has a nice concentrated flavor while giving the pasta that smooth and rich looking appeal when served. Now, get to cooking!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
3 tbsp. butter
1 yellow onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. tomato paste
1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes- or more… because that’s your business.
1/3 cup. vodka
Kosher salt- to taste, because no one can tell you how much or how little salt you should have.
1 lb. tubed pasta, such as penne or rigatoni, but we PREFER rigatoni
1 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan, for serving- but we got the stuff in the Italian aisle because we were lazy.
Basil, for serving- also, didn’t do this step… we’re winners at this point. BUT DO IT!
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until a little brown, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring frequently, until the paste has coated onion and garlic and is beginning to darken, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add vodka (take another shot for yourself if you want- we won’t tell ) to pot and stir, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. Then add heavy cream to the mix. If you want to add more than a cup, that is up to you.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente. For everyone scratching their heads on this one, just cook until YOU THINK you are ready to throw those bad boys into the sauce without them overcooking. YOU GOT THIS! Reserve 1 cup of pasta water before draining- DON’T FORGET!
- Pour the pasta in the sauce and fold in together until coated evenly.
- Serve (with the Basil leaves you are supposed to remember while shopping) and ENJOY!
Comment below and let us know if you want more recipes from us!